Thursday, April 27, 2006

Welll...good luck with that...

Ok, My friend is nice and all, but he's kind of, um.. delusional. I'll tell you what I mean:

He wants to start a video game company (mind you he doesn't know the difference between RAM and HD space) and open up a shop (being only 14 years old, he can't do ANY of this stuff) and sell his games. Then he will create a multi-national corporation, and rule the gaming world. I keep telling him that he can't do it, he doesn't get computers. He thinks programming ANYTHING is as easy as Gamemaker (www.gamemaker.nl)! This is rather alarming to a newbie programmer like me, who knows only enough c++ to fill up a business card. It's, dumb.
And he defies all logic I put before him! It sucks! But, I guess I'll let him dream until he implodes from lack of common sense. That's what happened to G.W. Bush when he proposed the tax cut for the rich.

4 comments:

S.M. Elliott said...

No point telling him he can't become King of All Gaming...he'll figure that out when he doesn't.

Laura said...

John always told me that game companies are more interested in people with physics backgrounds than programming backgrounds. The physicists are the ones who tell the programmers how the characters are supposed to look and move.

I had some delusions when I was 14 too. He'll grow out of it, I'm sure.

The Zombieslayer said...

Let him learn the stuff the hard way. Some people have delusions of grandeur and need to feel important.

Sagepaper said...

Delusions of this sort are normal, and even healthy. A gentle dose of reality is good, though. Your friend should know what it would take to succeed. You never know, though. He can't do it now, and will probably never do it. Some people latch onto a dream, though, and do everything necessary to make it come true. He might just be King of Games when he gets out of college.