Thursday, December 06, 2007

Reporting in!

About 30 pages in to Lurker at the Threshold, and I can honestly say I don't know why this is a book instead of a short-story. Why deviate from that long held Mythos tradition?

I also heard there's going to be an independent film based on the classic Lovecraft story The Shadow over Innsmouth. But they will be using the themes of the movie to push their agenda, which is...wait for it...how homosexuality is looked down upon in society. Somehow, I don't think fish-people and The esoteric order of Dagon really represent gays.

Gearing up to start watching more anime in my free time. I'm now keeping a list of all the series/movies I've watched, and it's looking rather sad so far.

Also, I want a trench coat. Maybe it's that I watched The Matrix one too many times, but I don't really care. I think I'd look cool, so PPHHBBTT.

8 comments:

ZC said...

Let me be clear: It's not wrong to pirate/download anime. They overcharge on their boxed sets. I mean, it's like $50 for the FLCL set, and that's 6 fucking episodes!

ZC said...

Someone found my blog by searching "rei ayanami desktop theme". I won't complain right now, but if it happens again I'm switching to "Tirade" mode. :P

S.M. Elliott said...

Trenchcoats, ew! I can only think of '80s movies like "Say Anything" and "The Breakfast Club" when I think trenchcoat. Not a pretty picture. Want some Zubas and hi-tops too? Heeheehee.

I'm all for pirated anime. Some of the stuff I like is fan-subbed and you can't get it on DVD here anyway.

I'm wracking my brain for ways to squeeze a gay subtext out of "The Shadow over Innsmouth." No luck so far. I'll let you know.

ZC said...

Congratulations, you roped yourself in with the rest of the people who think I want to look like Inspector Gadget. *Rolls eyes*

But seriously, 50 bucks for the FLCL set! (If you could get it anymore. x_x)

I like fansubs, mostly because that's the only way to watch certain series. :P

I looked too. I only found fish-people. :P

Unknown said...

Did you get to see Tin Man on Sci-Fi? I liked Cain's trenchcoat. Then again, I just liked Cain. ;)

S.M. Elliott said...

Ew, Inspector Gadget. Forgot about him. That's even worse than '80s movies. But if you can find a trenchcoat that comes with copter blades & rapelling equipment that would be cool. ;P

$50/6 eps = criminal activity.

Fansubs rock, 'cause the people doing it actually care about doing a good job. They're not just hurrying their way through a translation so they can get off work and go home. I have yet to see any funky Engrish in a fan-subbed show.

I'm gonna have to reread "Shadow Over Innsmouth" now...

tshsmom said...

Courtney, I didn't hear about Tin Man until recently. I'm hoping they'll re-run it from the beginning. I'm a huge Wizard of Oz freak and loved Wicked, and Son of a Witch too.

ZC said...

How was it? I don't have much faith in Sci-fi channel movies/mini-series. :P