Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I'm (not) Rick James Bitch!

Why the heck has everyone gone crazy over the cancellation of that steaming dog turd that is Chappelle's show? It was a horrible show and deserves it's place in TV hell. Okay, okay, so I did laugh at many of the sketches, but one got on my nerves. It was the episode with "Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories". Murphy talked about his experiences with "super-freak" Rick James. The famous line where James stood up and punched Murphy Screaming "I'm Rick James bitch!" Everybody in North America was then also screaming "I'm Rick James bitch!" Which angers me because these people are, in fact, not Rick James. Every teenager in America was screaming it. Mothers were banning their kids from it. Demons were spawing from holes in the earth where people had said the line were standing. It took the nation by storm. I thought I had seen this somewhere before. All ofa sudden it hit me. Tickle-me-Elmo, The Macherana (hope I spelled that right), The Beatles (no offense), it was the same thing. And I know why this stuff had seemed important. Alien mind control. It is the only explation for something so stupid. They are trying to make us weak by making this junk seem powerful. They are planning to invade us after the next media storm, probably Kathy Lee coming back to television. Heed my warning.

9 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

OMG - blogging is truly becoming a family pasttime!

Z, I am Wandering Coyote, reader of your mother's and sister's blogs.

You are very articulate through the written word. I am impressed.

Welcome to blogging!

S.M. Elliott said...

"I'm Rick James, bitch! I'm a B-list, has-been pop star with bad hair who likes to slap the ladies around! When I'm not making empty threats to Eddie Murphy, who could kick my alcoholic drug-addled a** into the next dimension with one arm tied behind his back!

S.M. Elliott said...

Ever see that footage of Bjork beating the crap out of a female reporter just for saying hello to her? Now THAT was actually scary. I think we should start saying "I'm BJORK, bitch!"

Laura said...

I liked the Chapelle Show... but I do hate how sayings are like rashes in our culture... the more you try to scratch it, the more it pops up. The Mind of Mencia "DeDeDUH" is getting on my nerves now. Not sure what causes it...

ZC said...

Yes, yes, hold your applause, hehe. Did Bjork really do that? Dang! And yes, although it is a good phrase (kinda) I believe "De de de!" has to go too. Thanks for all the comments!

Sagepaper said...

Z- I agree. You are a great writer! I don't want to scare you, but your writing is already better than that of some MASTER's DEGREE candidates I have read. Don't get lazy, though. I'll tell you a secret: writing is the path to doing well in any field of endeavor you choose. Perfect it. Then proofread it, then edit it, then perfect it again. That will knock 'em dead.

The Zombieslayer said...

Z - I think it was a generational thing. I grew up with Rick James and knew he had a huge ego, so that episode to me was hilarious. It's especially funny to see that there's a pecking order among celebrities, whereas Charlie Murphy was just the brother of the highly talented Eddie, so Rick James treated him as he did.

Maybe you had to hear stories of Rick James in advance for that to be funny. I don't see how today's teenagers would really "get" that episode, knowing that a lot of them didn't know even who Rick James was. They probably just laughed at the pecking order part of it.

ZC said...

Well, ZS, I have to agree. I knew plenty about Rick James beforehand, but he's not funny in any context. I believe you are right about the whole pecking order thing.

And Sage, are you serious!? That's an absolute honor!

greatwhitebear said...

Laura, you mean like "Where's the Beef" and "Drop that chalupa?". Think Madison Ave. has something to do with it?

z - I agree with you for the most part. I don't know why there are fads, but every generation has them. Ask your mother about Rat Finks and Pet Rocks.

But the Beatles equation misses the boat. Every generation needs and rallies around certain artists whose style helps give them their own identity and whose lyrics sing to their concerns. For my generation, that was the Beatles and Bob Dylan. For my kid sister it was Jim Morison. For my oldest kid it was Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) and REM (Micheal Stipe).

These artists don't fall into the catagory of fad, because they remain a central part of that generations culture. Just like I still listen to the Beatles, my sister still loves the Doors, and my son still listens to Nirvana and REM.